Temperatures are rising very fast as summers is setting in and chances are you will be fighting off the heat with a brand new air conditioner. To stay environmentally friendly while keeping cool, check out our energy saving tips below.
- Keep your eyes on the thermostat: Most air conditioners come equipped with a “normal” setting for the thermostat, and we recommend that you keep the temperature within that range. 25 degrees Celsius may sound like a tough one, but it’s actually sufficient for keeping your room cool in hot weather. If your room is feeling stuffy, then it’s actually time to switch out your air conditioner.
- Buy an energy-efficient model: Consider purchasing an energy-efficient unit when replacing your air conditioner. Look for energy labels and check out the rating systems – energy efficient models tend to be 10-15% more energy saving than regular models. Plus, these energy-saving units translate into cost savings for you too.
- Set a Timer: You probably don’t need the air conditioner to be blowing all through the night while you rest. Make use of the sleep timer function on your air conditioner, such that it switches off automatically after a period of time. That way, you can keep cool without worrying about the electricity bills.
- Draw the Blinds: Keep your room cool by drawing the curtains. This helps keep the sunlight out which can potentially increase the temperature. Remember to shut the door of the room as well, to prevent cool air from escaping when you use the air conditioner.
- Service your air conditioner regularly: The most important of all energy saving tips. If you haven’t gotten your air conditioner services regularly, you definitely should. Regular maintenance is key for keeping your air conditioner in good shape. Getting a professional to service your air conditioner will help in checking for any damaged components and dirty filters, enabling your AC to work as efficiently as possible.
Read our previous article on “The 5 things to consider when buying a new Air Conditioner”